1875: Ridley Park Presbyterian Church, Ridley Park, PA
Ridley Park Presbyterian Church first held services at the Ridley Park Station of the Philadelphia Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad in 1873. Services were conducted by the Rev. Charles H. Ewing, then the pastor of Ridley Presbyterian Church, later known as the Leiper Presbyterian Church.
A Sunday School program was started in 1875; classes were held in the Ridley Park Hotel and later in a store which stood on Hinckley Avenue.
In 1876, a church building was constructed under the pastorship of Rev. Dr. Matthew Grier, the church’s first pastor. From our humble beginning, we have steadily grown and are extremely grateful for the beautiful building where we worship today.
As a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), we provide traditional and contemporary worship services for our many very active church families. Our Sunday School continues to grow each year, along with our youth group, which encompasses many youths from our local community. Our Christian Nursery School has over 200 students. We provide a variety of learning opportunities for all ages designed to support and inspire people on their spiritual journey. We also support local and global missionary programs and create ways to share the Christian faith in the community. We offer activities to build relationships with our church family and the community, and grow in our responsibility for God’s creation and the blessings bestowed upon us through our giving of time and talents.
Looking into our future, we see a positive growth under God’s blessings and guidance.
This brief history was recently updated as a part of the Presbytery of Philadelphia’s 300th Anniversary Year of Celebration and Witness. The story of the congregations throughout the Presbytery were revised to remind us of our past even as we live into the present and move towards God’s promised future. Read more about the 300th Anniversary: www.presbyphl.org/300th-Anniversary.