Foreign Missionary Vertical Files
This database indexes the foreign missionary vertical files held by the society for missionaries who served the following denominations:
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (PCUSA)
- United Presbyterian Church of North America (UPCNA)
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S. (PCUS)
- United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A (UPCUSA)
- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
You may search the database by:
- field of service (i.e. Africa, Zaire)
- type of service (i.e. medical, educational)
The database record for each individual includes a small amount of biographical and service information.
Content of the vertical files indexed by the database varies. Files may contain missionary application forms, "Candidate Reference Blanks," missionary profiles, school records, photographs, incoming and outgoing correspondence, medical and financial records, obituaries, and/or other printed material. Society staff add new material to these files as it is received.
Due to the denomination's access policy and personal privacy issues, some medical, educational, or personnel records found in the files of living persons may be restricted. Society staff will review the contents and may remove certain records before providing access to the files.
To obtain photocopies of biographical information from these files, see our Biographical Sketch Service.