Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America|
Finding Aid to Record Group 18
86.00 cubic feet (86 boxes)
Presbyterian Historical Society
425 Lombard St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147-1516
RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS
Open for research.
In November 1905 thirty Protestant denominations met in New York at the Interchurch Conference on Federation. The conference resulted in a Plan of Federation which was "to promote the spirit of fellowship, service, and cooperation" among the Christian churches of the United States. After presenting the Plan of Federation to each of the denominations for their approval, another conference was called to meet in Philadelphia on December 2-8, 1908. At this conference the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America (hereafter referred to as the FCC) was born. The objectives of the Federal Council, as stated in its constitution, included:
- To express the fellowship and catholic unity of the Christian Church.
- To bring the Christian bodies of America into united service for Christ and the world.
- To encourage devotional fellowship and mutual counsel concerning the spiritual life and
religious activities of the churches.
- To secure a larger combined influence for the churches of Christ in all matters affecting
the moral and social condition of the people, so as to promote the application of the law
of Christ in every relation of human life.
- To assist in the organization of local branches of the Federal Council to promote its aims
in their communities.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The papers of the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America, 1894-1952, reflect the development of the FCC as a national organization. They document the history, organizational structure, policies, and activities of the Federal Council through its forty-two years. The papers also detail the growth of the ecumenical movement not only in the United States but in the world as a whole.
Although the papers date from 1894 to 1952, they are primarily from the period 1908 to 1950, when the FCC was in existence. In an attempt to preserve the integrity of the original files, the papers have been arranged according to the offices, departments, commissions, and committees through which the FCC operated. In each series the files are arranged alphabetically by subject category. Items within the subject files are arranged chronologically by year, month, and day. Partially dated documents are placed at the end of the month or year; undated items are placed after all dated material. Enclosures are placed after their letter of transmittal. Newspaper clippings, unless enclosed with correspondence, are placed at the end of subject files.
The collection is arranged in the following series:
Series I: Governing Bodies, 1909-1952
A. Executive Committee, 1909-1952
Series II: General Secretary, 1898-1951
B. Administrative Committee, 1913-1932
Series III: Departments, Commissions, and Committees, 1894-1952
A. Department of International Justice and Goodwill, 1907-1950
Series IV: Printed Matter, 1895-1951
B. Department of Christian Social Relations, 1908-1950
C. Department of Race Relations, 1918-1951
D. Department of Evangelism, 1912-1951
E. Department of Church and Economic Life, 1932-1952
F. Department of Pastoral Services, 1922-1951
G. Committee for Religious Liberty, 1932-1951
H. Women's Cooperating Commission, 1928-1951
I. General War-Time Commission of the Churches, 1917-1921
J. Committee on the Interchange of Preachers, 1947-1950
K. Treasurer, 1924-1951
L. Research and Education Department, 1919-1950
M. Commission on Relations with Religious Bodies in Europe and The Central Bureau for Relief of the Evangelical Churches of Europe, 1920-1937
N. Overseas Relief and Reconstruction, 1939-1948
O. Field Department, 1894-1950
P. Miscellaneous Departments, Commissions, and Committees, 1914-1950
A. Annual Reports, 1906-1950
B. Federal Council Bulletin, 1918-1950 Pamphlets, 1901-1950
C. Pamphlets, 1901-1950
D. Leaflets, 1895-1950
E. Press Releases, 1914-1950
F. Newspaper Clippings, 1903-1951
NOTES TO THE RESEARCHER
The archives of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA have been arranged through two grants awarded to the Presbyterian Historical Society by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Work under the first grant was performed by Dr. Alan Thomson and under the second grant by Donald L. Haggerty. Because the work was done by two individuals there are apparent differences in the style of arrangement and description.