You are here

Blog

News, events, updates, and tidbits from the Presbyterian Historical Society. Use tags to read related articles or sort by author for similar posts written by PHS staff members and volunteers.

March 16, 2017

"We never meant to destroy your house," insurgents told Munir Khoury when hostilities subsided in Jibrail, in Lebanon's Akkar region, in 1958. "It was the American's house we were aiming at."

The Khoury family were closely associated with the American missionaries Neale and Edith Alter, who founded the Jibrail Rural Fellowship Center (JRFC). From its experimental education efforts in 1943 until the dissolution of the property in 1967, Presbyterian mission work at Jibrail treated rural economic development as evangelism, pivoted to counter the threat of communism, and survived...

March 9, 2017

We've recently transferred to digital video a silent home movie from the 1930s, shot by the Presbyterian missionaries to Thailand Kenneth and Margaretta Wells, part of Record Group 268. Their family's tame gibbon, Bimbo, is the star of the show.

Bimbo lived with the Wells family for four years while Kenneth and Margaretta taught at...

January 20, 2017

The Southern Presbyterian Church's only college for African Americans for more than 140 years, Tuscaloosa's Stillman College has equipped candidates for ministry, molded prominent African American Presbyterian missionaries, educated nurses and yeoman farmers, and brought football fans heroes of the gridiron--including the inestimable Junior Galette.

Before the Civil War, systematic education of the...

January 12, 2017

In different points in its life, the Philadelphia congregation known as Beacon has been a Sunday school mission, a nesting congregation, a mother church with its own college, a church in schism, and a new church development. A persistent thread in the fabric of Philadelphia's Kensington neighborhood, its population waxed and waned by turns, for 146 years.

Beacon began life in 1871 as a Sunday school mission of the First Presbyterian Church of Kensington. In 1872, the growing church bought a parcel of land from...

January 4, 2017

The Presbyterian Historical Society is pleased to report that we have awarded Heritage Preservation Grants to five PC(USA) congregations. The winners are:

  • Community United Presbyterian Church (New Alexandria, Pa.), organized in 1805.
  • First Presbyterian Church (Perrysville, Ohio), organized in 1818.
  • First African Presbyterian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.), organized in 1825.
  • First Presbyterian Church (Lincoln, Ill.), organized in 1866.
  • First Presbyterian Church (Kalispell, Mont.), organized in 1892.

The Heritage...

Featured Tags